Welcome to the October 2021 edition of the W2hen newsletter.
I was reminded while compiling this October issue of the W2hen that I have now produced four years worth of newsletters ‐ that is 40 issues! This seems to have happened in the blink of an eye but, of course, lots of things have gone on around me while I have been engaged in this engrossing task. I thought it might be interesting to list some of the events which were making the news back in October 2017. I hope this list doesn't make you feel too old! It is, of course, very selective! It doesn't mention Donald Trump at all!
- Oct 1 Amid a deepening constitutional crisis, Catalonia holds an independence referendum on seceding from Spain
- Oct 4 UK Prime Minister Theresa May suffers a nightmare speech at Conservative National Conference as her voice fails, a prankster interrupts and the set collapses
- Oct 6 British writer Kazuo Ishiguro is awarded the Nobel Prize for Literature
- Oct 19 New Zealand Labour Party forms a coalition government led by Jacinda Ardern (37), youngest NZ leader in 161 years
- Oct 24 Antoine "Fats" Domino, American rhythm & blues star of the early rock 'n' roll era (Blueberry Hill, Blue Monday), dies from natural causes at 89
You can find your way round the site by using the navigation links above. In each section, items and features are previewed in the main part of the page and you can read more about each of them by clicking the Read More link.